Effingham County Office
Robert H. Demere, Jr. United Way Effingham Service Center
Located in one of the fastest growing counties in the State of Georgia, United Way of the Coastal Empire’s Effingham Service Center in Rincon provides an array of programs and services to residents of Effingham, West Chatham and North Bryan Counties.
In 2008, the building received an extensive face lift and was named the Robert H. Demere, Jr. United Way Effingham Service Center, in honor of the Demere Foundation’s continued support to the works of the United Way. Robert H. Demere, Jr. is chairman of Colonial Oil.
Today, the Service Center includes satellite offices for the following United Way affiliated organizations: Hospice Savannah’s Full Circle Grief Support, Savannah Speech & Hearing Center and Medbank. Other community service organizations housed at the Service Center include Effingham Orchestra, East Georgia Counseling Services and Katie McGrory Child Play Therapy.
United Way in Effingham County and its volunteers manage the following programs:
- Caring Closet provides free clothing for families in need which are distributed through the partners of the Food OutReach Co-op of Effingham (FORCE) program.
- e-Connect serves those who are willing and able to work but who may need additional support and tools to help them achieve financial stability and move out of poverty. e-Connect is for those that are under or unemployed and need job training or job search assistance, financial and educational coaching and access to a variety of income and work supports.
- Food OutReach Co-op of Effingham (FORCE) is a collaboration of six local food pantries and those organizations that make referrals for people in need of food assistance.
- Hammers Hearts and Hands, together with Living Independence For Everyone (LIFE) and GAP Ministries, provides wheelchair ramps for persons with disabilities.
- Hope for Everyone Looking for Provisions (HELP) serves as the financial component to our program. HELP will provide resources for clients as they transition to economic independence, such as assistance with transportation, housing, utilities, uniforms, training, etc. This program requires clients that receive financial assistance to give back to the community by volunteering or attending health/financial wellness courses that will benefit themselves and their family unit.
- Medical Equipment Lending Library offers free use of a variety of medical supplies/equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, canes, shower chairs, etc.
- The Farmers’ Garden distributes fresh produce from area farmers to six local food pantries and the Treutlen House.
- Volunteers Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) provides trained volunteers who complete and electronically file income tax returns, free of charge.
Meet some of our staff:
Bonnie Dixon, Area Director
Julie Dickey, Assistant Director
Destiny Bradshaw, Program Manager – e-Connect
2014 Campaign Video, Taryn Knick and Andy Lamon
© 2014 United Way of the Coastal Empire. All Rights Reserved