Liberty County Office
United Way Liberty County Office
United Way of the Coastal Empire in Liberty County, located just outside of the largest military base on the eastern seaboard, Fort Stewart, has made great strides to become an organization known for its’ hands on volunteer opportunities, direct services and referral process. Our office is also currently home to several United Way affiliates including MedBank, Consumer Credit Counseling Services and JC Vision. The United Way in Liberty County and its volunteers manage the following services and programs:
- Backpack Buddy – The program serves 525 local school children weekly with two nutritious meals and snacks. In the 2014-2015 school year, we served 42,000 meals to help with weekend food insecurities.
- Read Across Liberty – Through multiple First Book Grants, United Way and and its volunteers place 12 adult volunteer readers in each elementary school in Liberty County to read aloud and give each child a book for his/her own personal library in an effort to promote early childhood literacy. We distribute 3,000 books in a day’s effort.
- Transportation Fund – Through United Way Women’s Legacy Council’s Transportation Fund, we assist women and their families with gas cards allowing them to get back and forth to medical appointments, work and job interviews.
- Soldier Food Voucher – United Way serves active duty soldiers, their families and retirees with emergency commissary food vouchers to help alleviate food insecurity in the household.
- Emergency Food – United Way provides small food bags for families and individuals who have an emergency food need and the local food banks are already closed for the day.
- Uniform Bank – United Way provides gently used and some new school uniforms to students in the Liberty County School System.
- School Supply Bank – Through various community events throughout the summer, we provide school supplies to students in need of this resource.
- Emergency Shelter & Referral Services – We provide emergency shelter through hotel vouchers and direct referrals to area shelters.
- Homeless Resource Bank – United Way provides pop-top, shelf stable food items, sleeping bags, blankets, weather resistant sleep mats, hygiene products, winter coats, rain coats, shoes and clothing items to help meet the emergency needs of our homeless population.
- Mass Mobile Food Pantries – Through Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and United Way funding, we host six community food drops per year in Walthourville, Riceboro, Midway and Hinesville, helping 500 households per drop and distributing 120,000 pounds of food throughout the community.
- Resume Building & Job Referral Assistance – Our office assists individuals who are willing and able to work, but may need additional support and tools to help them move to financial stability.
- RAMP UP – With the help of the RC Men’s Ministry, United Way provides ramps to disabled individuals.
- Free Eye Glass Assistance – United Way providse direct referrals to a local optometrist who gives 50 pairs of free eye glasses and 30 pairs of bifocals.
© 2015 United Way of the Coastal Empire. All Rights Reserved