Basic Human Needs
Providing fundamentals to those in crisis.
Approximately 36,000 children across United Way’s service area qualify for free or reduced lunch; and for many of those children lunch could be their first and only meal of the day. In Chatham County, alone, more than 5,000 residents experience homelessness and an estimated 350 families become victims of house fires each year; most of whom are low-income and would have no way to recover without help.
Through a network of food, shelter and disaster relief services, United Way is committed to ensuring that people can meet their basic needs when in crisis. For 2012, United Way is funding 37 programs to provide these services to those most in need.
Data Sources: US Census; Chatham-Savannah Authority for the Homeless; American Red Cross Savannah Chapter.
2013 Basic Human Needs funded programs:
- American Red Cross Savannah Chapter: Disaster Action Team
- American Red Cross Savannah Chapter: Disaster Preparedness & Relief for At-Risk Communities
- America’s Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia: Agency Distribution
- America’s Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia: Brown Bag for the Elderly
- America’s Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia: Kids Cafe
- America’s Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia: Mobile Food Pantry
- Greenbriar Children’s Center: Youth Emergency Shelter and Residential Services
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Coastal Georgia: Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Kirk Healing Center: Housing and Healing the Homeless Program
- Liberty County Children’s Home: Gabriel’s House
- Liberty County Manna House: Manna House
- Liberty County Manna House: Soup Kitchen
- Park Place Outreach: Child Caring Institution/Short-term Emergency Shelter/Basic Center
- Salvation Army Savannah Corps: Center of Hope Emergency Housing
- Savannah Area Family Emergency Shelter: SAFE Shelter
- Senior Citizens, Inc.: Meals on Wheels
- Union Mission: Emergency Shelter
- United Ministries of Savannah: Emmaus House
- West Broad Street YMCA: Neighborhood Drop In Program
© 2014 United Way of the Coastal Empire. All Rights Reserved