Advancing financially stable individuals and families.
Nearly 66,000 individuals in our four county service area live below the poverty level and have difficulty meeting their basic needs. Over 23,000 working age adults are unemployed. Even those working multiple jobs may be unable to provide for their families. After basics, there is often no money left to save for buying a home, sending kids to college or retiring. Just one unanticipated expense – a car break-down, an uninsured illness, a week without a paycheck – can lead to crisis.
United Way’s Economic Independence goal is to move these families to financial stability and eventually to self-sufficiency. The programs we fund help them increase their earnings and build financial assets to better deal with unexpected expenses and support long-term goals.
Data Source: United States Census Bureau
2014 Economic Independence funded programs
For 2014, United Way is investing $733,475 in 24 programs that assist individuals along the path towards financial self-sufficiency.
- Coastal Center for Developmental Services: Community Employment Services
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of the Savannah Area: Financial Literacy – Counseling, Debt Management and Education
- Eastside Concerned Citizens: Career Development and Asset Building
- Economic Opportunity for Savannah-Chatham County Area: Austin-Peeler House
- Economic Opportunity for Savannah-Chatham County Area: Payee Representative
- Georgia Legal Services Program, Savannah Regional Office: Family Financial Stabilization Project
- Georgia Legal Services Program, Savannah Regional Office: Home Ownership Protection Project
- Georgia Legal Services Program, Savannah Regional Office: Records Restriction and Re-Entry Project
- Goodwill Industries of the Coastal Empire: Workforce Development Services
- Greenbriar Children’s Center: Independent Living
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Coastal Georgia: Interfaith Hospitality Network
- JCVision and Associates: Financial Education and Counseling
- Kirk Healing Center: Housing and Healing the Homeless Program
- Lutheran Services of Georgia: Refugee and Immigrant Employment Services
- Mary Lou Fraser Foundation for Families: Fraser Center
- Mediation Center of the Coastal Empire: Mediating Financial Stability Program
- Neighborhood Improvement Association: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
- Royce Learning Center: Adult and Community Education
- Salvation Army Savannah Corps: Center of Hope Financial Assistance Program
- Savannah Center for Blind & Low Vision: Readiness for Vision Impairment
- Social Apostolate of Savannah: Birth Certificate Program
- Step Up Savannah: Chatham Apprentice Program
- Union Mission: Employment and Training Center
- Wesley Community Centers of Savannah: Wesley Women’s Center
© 2014 United Way of the Coastal Empire. All Rights Reserved